Happy last day of 2013! I’m calling myself a big failure when it came to reading this year, because unlike 2012 or 2011, when I tried to read as much as possible throughout the weeks (and the semester reading requirements for grad school totally helped), this time, I fell short at only 31 books. By the time July rolled around, reading a book a week was the last thing on my to-do list since I was spending most of my time either barfing, lying down because getting up made me feel like barfing, crying because all I could do was barf, thinking about barfing, learning that even when your body has nothing to barf up, it will still find something to barf up, sleeping in between the moments of not barfing–and when I was finally able to get up and function (somewhat) as a normal human being, I was still barfing enough on my free time to make me abhor anything that wasn’t sleeping, trying to eat, going to work, having a conversation with other humans and watching movies.
Anyway, enough of that. It was odd enough to hate the idea of reading for once, but I’ve managed to slip back into the habit, all thanks to the Game of Thrones books. And speaking of which, those THREE books done (and therefore, the entire series so far, which means I totally know what’s going to happen on the next season gaahhh) amounted to about 2, 713 pages, which is like totally worth at least 10 books. Right?
I mean, think about it. That means this year, I’ve read 11,726 pages which is way more than the 9,194 pages of 40 books that I read in 2012, and KINDA CLOSE to the 16,924 pages (of 50 books) that I conquered in 2012. So congratulations, brain, you did it! You (kinda sorta but not really) read 40 books this year! Just kidding. I won’t lie to myself.
Here’s the pitiful list of books from this year, with my favorites in bold:
- Emma – Austen, Jane
- Pride and Prejudice – Austen, Jane
- Sense and Sensibility – Austen, Jane
- Collected Stories – Bellow, Saul
- The Girl in the Flammable Skirt – Bender, Aimee
- Stories – Boyle, T.C.
- Mockingjay – Collins, Suzanne
- Catching Fire – Collins, Suzanne
- Passion and Affect – Colwin, Laurie
- In The Gloaming – Dark, Alice Elliott
- This Is How You Lose Her – Díaz, Junot
- The Great Gatsby – Fitzgerald, F. Scott (Had to re-read this after the godawful movie!)
- The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel – Hempel, Amy
- Dubliners – Joyce, James
- Burning Fence: A Western Memoir of Fatherhood – Lesley, Craig
- A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) – Martin, George R.R.
- A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) – Martin, George R.R.
- A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) – Martin, George R.R.
- A Parisian Affair and Other Stories – Maupassant, Guy de
- Explorers of the New Century – Mills, Magnus
- Self-Help – Moore, Lorrie
- Mystery and Manners: Occasional Prose – O’Connor, Flannery
- Drinking Coffee Elsewhere – Packer, Z.Z.
- Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories – Paley, Grace
- The Shipping News – Proulx, Annie
- Tenth of December – Saunders, George
- Shakespeare’s Kitchen – Segal, Lore
- The Fluency of Light: Coming of Age in a Theater of Black and White – Sloan, Aisha Sabatini
- Honored Guest – Williams, Joy
- The Collected Stories – Welty, Eudora
- The Collected Stories – Yates, Richard
Anyway, here’s to more reading in 2014. And less barfing. Or at least, less barfing from me but probably lots of barfing from this creature that’s currently growing inside of my uterus.